Choosing the best residential zero turn mower for your property
When it comes to getting a new mower for your lifestyle block or larger property, a zero turn mower is worth considering.
Although zero turn mowers are often associated with mowing contractors or business-related requirements like golf courses or public parks, there are plenty of entry-level options that are perfect for residential use.
Before we take a look at some options for residential zero turn mowers, let’s go over some of the pros and cons of a zero turn mower.
- Zero turn mowers are fast! They can drastically reduce your mowing time with top models hitting speeds up to 16km/h. This is especially good for lawns with plenty of curves.
- Zero turn mowers are more precise and manoeuvrable than traditional mowers, making them very useful for areas with plenty of obstacles or oddly shaped sections.
- Zero turn mowers also come with tons of customisation options like catching kits, mulch kits, chutes, trailer hitches, and more.
- There is a learning curve. Zero turn mowers have two steering levers, unlike ride-on mowers that use a steering wheel. This allows each axel to be moved independently of the other one, but it takes some practice to get a hang of the controls.
- Zero turn mowers are more expensive upfront than other residential mowers, however they typically last much longer and require less maintenance over their lifetime. So if you need something the last a long time, a zero turn mower might be worthwhile.